To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
LOG INDon’t have an account? Register here Google Tiffani Afifa is a K-pop fan and influencer, and even the alarming spread of the novel coronavirus in South Korea has not dissuaded her from visiting the country.Last Saturday, one day before South Korea’s government announced the highest possible alert level over the virus, Tiffani flew to Seoul with her friends for a one-week vacation.“Before I went, I was told by a lot of people about the possibility of quarantine as soon as I arrived at the airport. Turns out, it was just business as usual at the airport as well as within Seoul,” Tiffani told The Jakarta Post via instant messaging.As a K-Pop enthusiast, the 30-year-old goes to South Korea two to five times a year. “The difference now is that I think almost 95 percent of the people [in Seoul] are wearing masks, and some places are less crowded than usual, for example Hongdae,&rdq… South-Korea kpop fans Topics : Log in with your social account Linkedin Forgot Password ? Facebook
Topics : Officers responding to that rave were met with violence from revelers, with items thrown at them and a police car vandalized, it added.”These raves were illegal and I condemn them taking place — they were clearly a breach of coronavirus legislation and guidelines, and have had tragic consequences,” said assistant chief constable Chris Sykes.”Coronavirus is still a threat and we will continue to engage with people to encourage them to take some personal responsibility and do the right thing.”Britain introduced a nationwide lockdown in late March to try to stem the transmission of the virus, as the country became one of the worst impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Thousands of people defied coronavirus restrictions to attend two illegal raves in Manchester in northern England, where one man died from a suspected drug overdose, police said on Sunday.Around 4,000 people gathered for one of the Saturday night events where a 20-year-old man died of the suspected overdose, according to Greater Manchester Police.Another 2,000 turned out for a second party which saw three separate stabbings, including one which left an 18-year-old man with life-threatening injuries, the force said. The government has registered nearly 42,000 deaths of those who had tested positive for the disease.The stringent stay-at-home order has only been gradually eased since late March, with gatherings of up to six people permitted outside, in parks or in private gardens, in England.
Proposals to reform Sweden’s SEK1.2trn (€126bn) AP fund system could see it unable to act as a long-term, buy-and-hold investor, the chairman of the Buffer Fund Inquiry, has warned.Mats Langensjö told IPE he was “disappointed” a number of the proposals put forward in his 2012 report on the reform of the buffer fund system were not adopted by the government when it unveiled its consultation last week.The consultation, launched by the left-leaning coalition government after agreeing a joint stance with the main opposition parties, recommended the closure of AP6 and the consolidation of all unlisted assets into what is currently AP2, as well as the closure of a second, as-yet-undecided buffer fund.But the consultation dropped several of the ideas suggested by the initial inquiry, including a strengthening of internal governance. “Our proposals were not rocket science,” Langensjö said. “We tried to find good examples from all over the world and implement good global practice into a Swedish context – and that’s where I’m disappointed.”Under the government’s proposals, a reference portfolio decided upon by a principal will be used to steer the remaining three buffer funds’ investment strategy.The principal would sit within a newly created National Pension Fund Board, but the government could potentially exert influence over the system’s investment strategy if it does not approve of the level of investment risk suggested by the principal.This would run counter to Langensjö’s hopes that the principal could oversee a more “flexible, dynamic” investment approach among the buffer funds.The reforms could also see all AP fund employees become civil servants, with an end to an incentive-driven pay structure.“If you have something called a reference portfolio, and if you then have very little organisational incentive to actually deviate from that, then there is a risk that it becomes a very passive index portfolio, by nature, over time,” Langensjö said.He also argued that the new reference portfolio could see the AP funds fail to employ their “strongest competitive advantage” as true long-term investors.“They don’t have short-term liquidity requirements,” Langensjö said. “They can be buy-and-hold, they can take illiquid positions, they can deviate from market volatility.“When other people are forced to sell, they can be buyers.”He added: “Part of their assets will be perpetual, so why don’t you have a perpetual investment philosophy or strategy for half the portfolio – then you can have an illiquid and a liquid portfolio.”Two of the AP funds, AP1 and AP3, were recently part of a SEK60.6bn consortium to buy the energy distribution arm of Fortum, the country’s second largest. AP3, one of the three Stockholm-based AP funds under threat of closure, said there was little evidence the proposed changes would lead to any improvement.Kerstin Hessius, the fund’s chief executive, said the current system worked well and that the funds had “exceeded expectations”.She added that the reform could put the pension system at risk, and reiterated that there was only a need for the system’s current quantitative investment rules to be amended. The four main AP funds were all seeded with equal amounts of capital upon launch.As of the end of last year, AP4 was the largest, at SEK295bn.
Morning Star 29 April 2019Family First Comment: Renee and Chelsea are unusual; few people in New Zealand are prepared to speak out. The mainstream media and even the majority of the university-led feminist movement are supportive of the line touted by the New Zealand Prostitutes Collective (NZPC) that “sex work is work.” Renee and Chelsea agree that those who sell sex should not be prosecuted, but they go further by advocating for the implementation of the Nordic model. “If, as NZPC suggests, it is up to individual women in prostitution to ward off violent men by making ‘as much noise as possible to attract attention,’ then it is up to journalists and academics to address the systemic violence of prostitution by doing the same.”IN NEW ZEALAND, pimping and the keeping of brothels is considered a normal business. Renee and Chelsea are women who want to change that.The passing of the Prostitution Reform Act (PRA) in 2003 made New Zealand one of a minority of countries to fully decriminalise prostitution. Renee campaigns from outside the industry, and Chelsea as a woman who makes her living within it.Renee first began to protest against full decriminalisation of prostitution in 2015, when she worked with a woman named Rosalie Batchelor, a prostitution survivor, who was trying to set up a safehouse for other women wanting to exit the industry.For Chelsea, it was anger at the “happy hooker” media narrative that drove her to “vent online about the realities of the sex industry as a prostitute.”She explains: “The environment within the brothels is one which doesn’t allow self-expression. You are pressed to ‘play the game’ and tell men what they want to hear, go along with their fantasies, not be a real person.”Renee and Chelsea are unusual; few people in New Zealand are prepared to speak out. The mainstream media and even the majority of the university-led feminist movement are supportive of the line touted by the New Zealand Prostitutes Collective (NZPC) that “sex work is work.”READ MORE: https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/new-zealand-women-challenging-neoliberal-narrative-%E2%80%98empowerment%E2%80%99-prostitution
A 6-1 defeat meant the Giants remain second behind Nottingham Panthers who were in Challenge Cup action. Fife Flyers had to go to a penalty shoot-out for their 5-4 win over Manchester Storm, Cardiff Devils edged Dundee Stars 3-2 and Edinburgh Capitals triumphed 6-2 against Braehead Clan. Belfast Giants missed the chance to go top of the Elite League as they were thumped away Sheffield Steelers. Press Association
By Brydon CoverdaleAUSTRALIA faced only 558 deliveries in losing the Hobart Test to South Africa, their fourth-lowest tally ever in Tests they have lost at home. Here is a closer look at their worst five.360 balls1904 v England, MCGMonty Noble’s Australians were bowled out for 122 and 111 in this match, in which England’s Wilfred Rhodes not only took 15 wickets but had a further eight catches dropped off his bowling. But these were the days of uncovered pitches, and Wisden’s report made clear that the weather was responsible for this outcome: “The significance of the (England) win, however, was altogether discounted by the fact that before the Australians had any chance of batting, rain had ruined the pitch.”429 balls1888 v England, SCGAgain, this was a match – and a pitch – badly affected by rain. Australia were dismissed for 42 in the first innings and 82 in the second, with England bowlers George Lohmann and Bobby Peel proving impossible to handle in the conditions.457 balls1928 v England, Brisbane Exhibition GroundEngland won this Test by the monumental margin of 675 runs, though Australia lost both Jack Gregory and Charles Kelleway mid-match to injury and illness. The match was also notable for being Don Bradman’s Test debut, Wisden describing the situation thus: “Australia relied largely upon tried men, Bradman being the one youngster to secure inclusion”.And in the final innings, having been set 742 for victory, heavy rain rendered Australia’s task utterly hopeless. “Woodfull, batting splendidly, received no support at all,” Wisden reported, “nearly everyone who joined him hitting out wildly immediately on going in.”558 balls 2016 v South Africa, Bellerive OvalAustralia could not use uncovered pitches or mid-match injuries as an excuse here. Outplayed in every way by South Africa, the Australians simply lacked the ability to handle the swinging and seaming balls delivered by Kyle Abbott, Kagiso Rabada and Vernon Philander. Skittled for 85 and then 161, it consigned Australia to a third consecutive home series loss to South Africa.611 balls 1984 v West Indies, WACAOn the list of excuses for poor batting, there have been few more understandable in recent decades than facing Malcolm Marshall, Michael Holding, Joel Garner and Courtney Walsh at the WACA. Pre-match rain left the pitch “under-prepared and unpredictable”, in the words of Wisden. Little wonder, then, that Australia were rolled for 76 and 228.Still, it took only one more Test for Australia captain Kim Hughes to resign in tears.(ESPN Cricinfo)
Marylove Edwards Tennis Star Top seed, Marylove Edwards, overcame Blanche Minet of Ivory Coast 7-5, 3-6, 6-1 to win the girl’s title while Canice Abuse edged Musa Mohammed 7-6, 6-3 in an all-Nigeria affair to claim the boy’s title as the first leg of the NTF International Junior Championships was concluded over the weekend in Abuja.Edwards, who was competing in her first ITF Junior title, triumphed after over two hours to claim her maiden ITF Junior title. And it was the same for Abua as he puts up a resolute display to beat his fellow Nigerian Mohammed.Edwards and Abua thus became the third and fourth Nigerians to win an ITF junior title this year after Oyinlomo Quadre (Megrine, Tunisia, in April,and Cotonou in September) and Abayomi Philips (Accra, Ghana, in August). Minet, though, drew first blood, breaking Edwards’ opening service game for 1-0. Momentum shifts would characterize the first set, with Edwards leading 3-2 and Minet finding an edge later on to break for 5-4. The Ivorian, however, couldn’t serve the set out, leaving Edwards to break right back and then, take the next two games to close out the set.The top seed however lost her way in the second set, as Minet opened a 5-2 lead before going on to secure the set.The decisive final set had the US-based Edwards, who had a day earlier paired Minet to claim the doubles title, raised her game to eventually prevailed.For the boys crown, Abua wrapped up a superb week in which he didn’t drop a set, with a straight set victory over Mohammed.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
Related Articles Mozzartbet sets sail in South America taking over Meridianbet Colombia July 22, 2020 Submit StumbleUpon Fernando Ors Villarejo – INTRALOTAthens-listed gambling and lottery systems provider INTRALOT SA has this morning confirmed the appointment of Fernando Ors Villarejo as new President of Sports Betting at INTRALOT Inc – the firm’s North American division.A twenty-year industry veteran, Villarejo joins INTRALOT’s US executive from Bolsa Madrid gambling firm Grupo Codere, where he led new market initiatives as joint Chief Development and Chief Executive Officer (CDO/CEO) of ‘Codere Interactiva’.Updating the market, INTRALOT governance states that has secured a leading industry executive to drive its US sports betting ambitions, with a proven track record in delivering and managing dynamic partnerships and projects.In its update, INTRALOT governance points to Villarejo tenure leading Codere Interactive, in which the executive delivered successful international partnerships with TV Azteca (Mexico), Formula Giochi (Italy) and Carrefour France subsidiaries’ BASA and Groupe Promodès.Confirming the executive appointment, INTRALOT Group Chief Executive Antonios Kerastaris commented:“It is my great pleasure to extend a warm welcome to Fernando. In the new era of Sports Betting in the USA, Fernando will be our key person for opening up this immense new opportunity for Intralot, with end-to-end responsibility on the Sports Betting product and operations in the USA. Sports Betting in the US in the post PASPA era is a major source of potential future revenue and profits for INTRALOT and we intend to dedicate a considerable amount of effort and resources to turn this opportunity into a great success for our company”. Share Intralot accelerates Nederlandse Loterij retail transformation July 29, 2020 Share Intralot strengthens U*BET offering with virtual sports addition August 6, 2020
Penn State quarterback Sean Clifford took down his Twitter and Instagram accounts after his team’s fans attacked him for performing below expectations in an upset loss to Minnesota on Nov. 9.While Clifford sometimes disengages from Twitter and Instagram right before games to focus, this instance was different. The sophomore said he received death threats and “some pretty explicit and pretty tough-to-read messages.” He is far from the only player at Penn State to be bombarded with hate from strangers for on-field play. Clifford has reactivated his Twitter and Instagram pages in recent days, but he has not posted on either medium since Nov. 5. The 21-year-old has thrown 22 touchdown passes and led Penn State to a 9-1 record and its best win percentage since 2005. Three interceptions thrown in the 31-26 loss to Minnesota, however, was enough for some fans to turn on him.”I appreciate all of the positive people that are around, but there’s also people that try to tear you down,” Clifford said. “It’s always just been better to keep your head away from that kind of stuff.”The university wrote in a statement that local authorities are aware of the allegations and are providing support to Clifford. No specific investigation into the matter has been announced. Earlier this year, a Penn State supporter penned a racially insensitive letter addressed to safety Jonathan Sutherland that bashed the defensive back’s appearance. MORE: Updated College Football Playoff pictureThe incident left Clifford and the rest of the Nittany Lions football program wondering why amateur athletes are subjected to so much vitriol.”Just a lot of things that we’re accepting in our society that we would never have accepted before,” coach James Franklin told reporters. “I’m not sure why we accept it or why we think it’s OK. Whether you’ve had 14 (beers) or not, I’m not sure why it’s OK or acceptable.”