first_imgNEW YORK – Federated Department Stores Inc. reported strong fourth-quarter profits Tuesday and said it will change its name to Macy’s Group Inc. But the department store operator – still struggling to integrate former May Department Stores Co. stores – offered a profit forecast well below Wall Street expectations. Meanwhile, Target Corp. said fourth-quarter profits rose a better-than-expected 19 percent, fueled by strong holiday sales. Earnings for the current year should be in line with Wall Street’s estimates, company officials said. Nevertheless, Target shares slumped $3.15, or 5 percent, to $59.40 on Tuesday when share prices in general plunged over worries about the global economy. Federated shares fell 85 cents, or 1.2 percent, to $43.35. Both trade on the New York Stock Exchange. Cincinnati-based Federated, which also operates Bloomingdale’s, said stronger sales at established stores and lower costs drove fourth-quarter earnings up 5 percent. The company said it would immediately repurchase 45 million shares for $2 billion, half of a planned $4 billion increase to its stock buyback program. Federated, which is building a national department store brand under Macy’s, plans to seek approval for the name change from shareholders during its annual meeting in May. “Most customers don’t know what Federated Department Stores stands for, and obviously the name brand recognition for our new name is an easy decision for us,” said Chief Executive Terry J. Lundgren in an interview Tuesday with The Associated Press, noting that 90 percent of sales are coming from the Macy’s brand. Federated changed the name of more than 400 May stores to Macy’s last year after acquiring its formal rival in August 2005. Those stores, which operated under such nameplates as Hecht’s, Marshall Field’s and Filene’s, struggled during the holiday season, though business is rebounding, company officials said. “We would have preferred seeing the sales at the former May Co. stores perform better,” Lundgren said. Despite difficulties winning over customers still loyal to stores under their previous names, there has been progress, he said. Federated executives told investors in a Tuesday conference call that the introduction of an exclusive Martha Stewart home furnishing collection this fall along with its best-performing store brands would bring improved results. A big challenge remains for Macy’s as it tries to wean customers off coupons, which were used heavily by May stores. Karen Hoguet, Federated’s chief financial officer, told investors that customers will get the same value at Macy’s without coupons.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

first_imgCHINO HILLS – Like the Ayala High School girls basketball team Thursday night, the clock didn’t stop running. The Bulldogs’ 40-point lead didn’t result in a running-clock mercy rule until 2:28 remained in the game. Even so, Ayala ran in all 32 minutes of its 72-30 CIF Division II State playoff win against Sanger. Ayala will meet No. 3 seed Norco, a 52-43 winner over San Diego Mt. Carmel, on Saturday in the regional semifinals. “You never know what to expect in the state format,” said Ayala coach Mel Sims of the enrollment-based brackets, as opposed to the more complicated Southern Section grouping. “But we certainly didn’t expect to win by 42 points.” Senior forward Rebekah Gardner had 26 points, eight rebounds and four steals for No. 2 seed Ayala (29-3), and center Jasmine Holliday had 18 points, 12 boards, four steals and two blocked shots. The Bulldogs shot a pedestrian 46 percent from the field. In fact, seventh-seeded Sanger (25-8) shot 60percent opposite Ayala’s 38 percent in the first quarter. Trouble was, that left the Apaches trailing by seven. An incessant fastbreak fueled by repeated long passes over the top of Sanger defenders led to numerous Ayala layups. “They were running with us in the first quarter,” Gardner said. “I think we just tired them out.” center_img After outscoring Sanger 31-6 over a 10:52 stretch from late in the first quarter to early in the third, the Bulldogs led, 44-18. Because of the fastbreaks and Ayala’s dominance on the offensive glass, the Bulldogs attempted 23 more field goals than Sanger. Fueling the fire, Sanger’s 19 turnovers doubled the Ayala total. “We knew we had our hands full,” Sanger coach Steve Case said. “The San Joaquin Valley is trying to catch up to what these teams are doing down here.” Nobody has caught Ayala in 20 games. The Bulldogs even won last Friday’s CIF-SS Division II-A championship game by 27 points. During their 20-game win streak, the lone game decided by less than 16 points was a two-point win over Perris in the CIF-SS semifinals. “We want to play closer games,” Gardner said, “at least for the fans. But I don’t think the rest of our games are going to be anything like this.” clay.fowler@sbsun.com (909) 386-3935 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Bohden Rogers Stefiuk is the first baby born in Fort St. John for 2016.Bohden Rogers Stefiuk was born at the Fort St. John Hospital on January 1, 2016 at 5:36 p.m. to mom Kasja Stefiuk and dad Adam Stefiuk of Fort St. John weighing in at 8 pounds, 9 ounces.Bohden was also welcomed by his brother.- Advertisement -The first baby born in the Northern Health region was delivered at the University Hospital of Northern B.C. in Prince George at 1:25 a.m. on January 1, 2016.The first baby born in British Columbia is a boy delivered at Surrey Memorial Hospital at 12:15 a.m. on January 1, 2016 to a couple from Fort Nelson.last_img

first_imgChelsea with mum Siobhan and brothers Charlie and Jack, Joel with mum Sheila and Karen and Garry Gorman.Two young Donegal cousins have been chosen to front a new Vodafone advertising campaign.Chelsea and Joel Gorman of the Karen Gorman Academy of Speech & Drama and Casting Agency were picked from hundreds of hopefuls for the campaignChelsea is the daughter of Siobhan and Gavin Gorman, Kilmacrennan and Joel is the son of Sheila and Anthony Gorman, Letterkenny. The cousins are even in the same class.They attended auditions in Dublin last Wednesday and Karen was delighted to get a phonecall on Friday afternoon to break the amazing news.“They were the first choice from several hundred entries nationally, the Production Company didn’t even hold recalls. Chelsea and Joel excel both in school and in sport, now they are recognisable nationally in this very high profile campaign” said Karen.Within the last few months, Karen and Garry’s Casting Agency success has seen clients in a Lidl campaign and in a 3mobile advertisement which is currently on all TV channels. Another client Luka Blondelle is in the Euros 2016 campaign sponsoring the Irish Football team. A number of students have also been shortlisted for several film roles.A stylist from Vogue magazine and a celebrity make up artist from Chanel along with a London Advertising Agency were thrilled with the shoot. They will feature on all national print advertising campaigns and online. YOUNG DONEGAL COUSINS CHOSEN FOR VODAFONE ADVERT CAMPAIGN was last modified: May 12th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:chosenCOUSINSdonegalKaren GormanVodafonelast_img read more

first_imgFANAD GAELS NOTESGaeil Fhánada Lotto ResultNo jackpot winner. Numbers drawn were 06. 10. 13. 14. 17. B 13 €100 winner Michael Doherty, Ballyheerin. €50 winner Mary Shiels, Ballylar. Next week’s jackpot €4,850. Come on support your local club, you never know you might win! Lotto draw every Sunday night. Gaeil Fhanada Seniors
 played their first game of the season v Termon in a very blustery and cold Tria locha last Saturday at 3 p.m. in Comórtas Peile na Gaeltacht. Even though we played a young promising team, our boys played a very good team game in not the best of conditions, they were not able to overcome our visitors.First Senior League gameFirst game of the season at home v Cloughaneely in Tria Locha on 22nd. Senior Championship Draw 2015Gaeil Fhánada were drawn in group 3 with N. Columba, Urris and Carndonagh.Gaeil Fhánada Minors v N. MichéalGaels minors suffered defeat away to St Michaels in blustery conditions last Sunday. The home side adapted better to the conditions and deserved their half time lead. The second half started badly for Fanad with the loss of an early goal and injury to Jack Friel, but the boys showed great heart playing against the breeze and took the game to the home team with good support play. The Gaels suffered two more injuries to Patrick Carr and Tiernan Cushnan. Gaeil Fhánada now face their local rivals Milford next week and will be hoping that their injured players will have recovered plus the other players who were unavailable this week will be back for what should be an exciting local derby. Gaeil Fhánada were well served on the day by Michael Blaney, Niall Carr and Conor Mc Devitt. We would all like to wish Jack Friel a speedy recovery.Gaeil Fhánada Bord na nÓg and Bord na Mna, in association with Mc Daids Football Special.Sponsored walk will take place on Good Friday morning 3rd April @11am from Kerrykeel to Rossnakill Resource Centre. Sponsor cards will be in circulation from the middle of next week. Sponsor cards will be handed out at underage training and through the National schools. Refreshments will be served in the hall after the walk. Anybody willing to help out with stewarding on the day, contact Martin McAteer @ 9163472. Ciarraí v Dún na nGallÁdh mór chuig Rory agus foireann Dún na nGall ag an deireadh seachtain.Cúl Camp 2015 – Takes place this July. Families can book online or contact Fiona Shiels for further details. There are a number of payment options. A small deposit will secure your place. This is a fun week where participants learn the skills of Gaelic football and meet our County stars.GAA NEWS: FANAD GAELS BEATEN BY TERMON IN LEAGUE was last modified: March 10th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegalfanad gaels notesGAAlast_img read more

first_imgA NUMBER of Co Donegal pensioners have had their entitlement to medical cards withdrawn, despite having at least two years left on them.Inishowen Sinn Féin councillor Jack Murray has said his office has been contacted by a number of local pensioners whose medical cards were withdrawn without notification despite having expiry dates of 2015.Cllr Murray said: “Many local pensioners are distraught after discovering that their medical cards had been cancelled while visiting the GP or local pharmacy. Some have serious illnesses which are extremely costly to treat. “This is simply not good enough. These people rely on their medical cards for treatment that they need to survive. They cannot choose to go on without medical attention.“They are now faced with the cumbersome task of reapplying for a medical card that they were told would not expire for another two years.“I would encourage anyone encountering difficulties with their medical card to contact Pádraig Mac Lochlainn’s constituency office in Buncrana and we will do everything we can to help. In the meantime, the HSE and the government needs to sort out this mess immediately.”  ANGER AS PENSIONERS HAVE MEDICAL CARDS WITHDRAWN was last modified: February 12th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:ANGER AS PENSIONERS HAVE MEDICAL CARDS WITHDRAWNlast_img read more

first_imgKolkata, May 14 (PTI) Condemning the killing of journalists in Bihar and Jharkhand, their counterparts here took out a protest march today.Journalists from print, electronic and digital media today took out a protest march from Calcutta Press Club carrying placards and sporting black batches condemning the killings.A section of journalists also demanded immediate action against the culprits and strict laws to ensure the safety of scribes.Three persons with criminal background were detained by police for questioning in connection with the murder of a senior journalist Rajdev Ranjan of a reputed daily vernacular newspaper in the heart of Siwan town in Bihar, police said.A news channel journalist Akhilesh Pratap Singh (35) was gunned down near panchayat secretariat of Dewaria village in Jharkhands Chatra district on Thursday night and a bandh was observed in Chatra town yesterday in protest against it. PTI PNT KK PVIlast_img read more

first_imgTransfers Ronaldo, Neymar & the most expensive transfers in history Mark Doyle Last updated 1 year ago 23:50 7/10/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(10) Cristiano Ronaldo Getty Images Transfers Arsenal Philippe Coutinho Neymar Cristiano Ronaldo Ousmane Dembélé Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Manchester City Manchester United Barcelona Real Madrid Chelsea Bayern München Borussia Dortmund PSG Monaco Primera División Serie A Bundesliga Ligue 1 Liverpool Premier League Cristiano Ronaldo has joined Juventus for €100 million, so where does the forward rank on the list of the biggest deals of all time?last_img read more

first_img Travellers to Jamaica are being urged to declare all agricultural products in order to avoid the introduction of foreign pests and diseases that could threaten the agriculture sector and the environment. Travellers to Jamaica are being urged to declare all agricultural products in order to avoid the introduction of foreign pests and diseases that could threaten the agriculture sector and the environment.Chief Plant Quarantine Produce Inspector, Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries, Sanniel Wilson, said that persons are required to declare seeds, meats, plants and animal products and by-products being taken into the island.The declaration must cover all items carried in checked baggage, carry-on luggage and shipped items.Miss Wilson, who was addressing a JIS Think Tank on September 7, cautioned persons against illegally smuggling plants into the country.“Be it a tourist, a Jamaican or returning resident, if you intend to carry any plant or plant products here, you are required to have a permit. This permit will tell the exporting country the requirements for taking in this plant,” she noted.Miss Wilson explained that in cases where there are no permits, the inspectors at the borders of entry will determine whether the items meet the entry requirements.She is encouraging persons to adhere to the laws in order to avoid sanctions.She noted that the Plant Quarantine Act of 1993 and the Plant Import Control Regulations outline clear fines and other sanctions for persons who intentionally smuggle in plant-related items.“Sanctions for illegal introduction of plant and plant products range from $50,000 to $200,000, and could also lead to imprisonment,” Miss Wilson pointed out.Meanwhile, for persons who may have visited a farm or ranch in a foreign country, she said: “the clothes you wear, we ask you to leave it there”.Clothes and shoes worn on farms could contain traces of soil that might harbour foreign diseases.Chief Technical Director in the Ministry, Dermon Spence, said part of the Ministry’s mandate is to expand agricultural production and ensure that people have access to safe, quality food for consumption.He noted that achieving these objectives will require that the sector is not compromised by persons bringing pests and diseases into the country.As such, he stressed the need for travellers to fill out the declaration forms that they receive at the airport.Mr. Spence noted that prohibited items that are not declared by passengers will be confiscated and disposed of, and persons could also face civil penalties. Chief Plant Quarantine Produce Inspector, Ministry of Industry, Commerce, Agriculture and Fisheries, Sanniel Wilson, said that persons are required to declare seeds, meats, plants and animal products and by-products being taken into the island. Story Highlights “Be it a tourist, a Jamaican or returning resident, if you intend to carry any plant or plant products here, you are required to have a permit. This permit will tell the exporting country the requirements for taking in this plant,” she noted.last_img read more