By Ben DeatherageBANKS, Ore. – Another marquee event for Sunset Speedway Park is coming up as the Banks Bullring continues to have one big race after the other. Saturday, July 18 will be the annual Dancin’ Bare Topless Modified 100 at the 1/4-mile clay oval.This race will feature Xtreme Motor Sports IMCA Modifieds for a 100-lap feature with the winner collecting $1,000 and a berth on the ballot for the 2016 fast Shafts All-Star Invitational.All applicable points will be awarded for the topless event.Pit gates open at 2 p.m., the front gates open at 4 p.m. and racing starts at 6:30 p.m.
Saturday’s clash at St Mary’s was teed up as make or break game for Roberto Mancini’s side as they looked to retain the Premier League crown. City, though, rarely resembled a side in such dire need of victory, putting in what Mancini described as a “worse than poor” performance as Southampton secured a 3-1 success. However, Davis was just pleased to secure a first win since Pochettino replaced Nigel Adkins as manager, moving Southampton six points clear of the drop zone in the process. “We’re obviously delighted with the result,” Davis said. “We knew we would obviously have to put a lot of pressure on them up the pitch.” He added: “That is the way the manager wants us to play and we managed to do that. We caused them a few problems and deserved the three points. It is hard to look at other teams at this point in time. You’ve just got to concentrate on yourself. “We’ve shown that if we can keep the consistency going and level of performance we are more than capable of staying in this division and hopefully kicking on.” Davis scored Southampton’s second goal on Saturday, making the most of a Joe Hart howler to extend the lead given to them by Jason Puncheon. Edin Dzeko pulled one back for City before half-time but Saints rallied, with Gareth Barry putting into his own goal to make it 3-1. The only thing missing from a perfect Saints victory was a 100th goal for the club from Rickie Lambert, who put in another impressive display despite failing to score. “He is a great ‘out ball’ for us,” Davis said. “Obviously he has got a lot more to his game than just holding up the play, but that is an important aspect of his play as well. He brings other into the game and allows others to get up the pitch. He did that really well.” Unsurprisingly, City’s players were less chatty than their Saints counterparts after the match. Only manager Mancini spoke to the media at St Mary’s, although some players took to Twitter in the aftermath. “Some days, nothing works the way it should,” Argentina international Sergio Aguero said via his account. “This was one of those days. There’s no excuse – we need to work hard to forge ahead. It all looks a bit grim right now, but I won’t believe giving up is an option.” Press Association Steven Davis believes Southampton are more than capable of kicking on after Mauricio Pochettino’s first win at the helm seemingly ended Manchester City’s title charge.
“The England Under-18 international enjoyed a promising year with Arsenal last term. Everyone at Arsenal wishes Ainsley well for the 2015/16 season as he looks to gain more senior experience.” Maitland-Niles, 17, became the second youngest player to represent Arsenal in the Champions League when he was introduced as a substitute in the 4-1 victory at Galatasaray in December last year. He also saw action from the bench against Newcastle in the Barclays Premier League and Hull in the FA Cup. The England Under-18 international, who made his senior debut for the club last season, will spend the 2015/16 campaign at Portman Road as Mick McCarthy’s men target another promotion drive. A club statement said: “Young midfielder Ainsley Maitland-Niles will spend the 2015/16 season on loan with Ipswich Town. Arsenal youngster Ainsley Maitland-Niles has joined Sky bet Championship Ipswich on a season-long loan deal, the Gunners have announced. Press Association
For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: Rishabh Pant – the flamboyant wicket-keeper batsman – has said that the stint with India ‘A’ is behind his plausible display on Test debut and it helped him to deal with the extra pace and bounce in the third Test at Trent Bridge, Nottingham. The 20-year-made impressed many with his confident 24-run knock in the first innings and then his record-breaking seven catches for a debutant.ALSO READ: Asian Games 2018, Day 7 Live: Muhammed Anas Yahiya heads to 400m final“Keeping in England is always difficult because the ball wobbles a lot behind the wicket. The thing is that I have been playing India-A cricket since last two-and-a-half months in England, so it has been helpful for me,” Pant said after India defeated England by 203 runs in the third Test.“I am practicing in the nets on how to deal with that and it is working now,” added Pant, who played for India A against England Lions and West Indies A before being named in the Test squad.However, Pant miscued few chances, particularly from those of Jasprit Bumrah as he said that the main problem was the angle that the seamer creates and it was a big challenge for him.ALSO READ: Asian Games 2018, Day 7: India’s complete Schedule, Timings, and more“It is a big challenge, but the thing is that when Bumrah bowls, he bowls with a different angle. So, sometimes we react to it. That day I reacted too much on that ball and the edge came off. I’m not saying that it was not too difficult a catch; I could have pulled it off,” he said.“As a keeper, you have to wait for the outside edge. That is the only thing I can do, and that is what I have learned after that thing. I am going to wait for the outside edge. That is the only solution.”Pant stated that the Test debut was an unforgettable experience.“It is a great experience, actually. I have played with all the people (team members) in IPL and domestic cricket but when you play for the country, it is a different feeling. It was a dream for me to play Test cricket.”After the struggles from Dinesh Karthik in the first two Tests, Pant’s inclusion was a fresh welcome to the Indian side as India needed solidity in the batting line-up and the Delhi Daredevil man lived up to the expectations with a solid 24-run knock.The standout moment for the debutant came when he tonked an Adil Rashid delivery for a six off the second delivery in his Test cricket career.“I was nervous. Everyone is nervous when they play their first match. When I see the ball I don’t think too much, just see the ball and react to it. That is what happened. I was just playing normal cricket – that is all,” he said.The Roorkee youngster has been making waves in Delhi’s domestic circuit and impressed in the Ranji Trophy and the IPL by scoring big runs in what has been a steady rise for the left-handed southpaw.
FORMER West Indies middle-order batsman turned youth coach Keith Arthurton has urged the regional body to put more effort into making sure talented youth cricketers go on to transition into successful senior players.Arthurton, the left-handed batsman who made 33 Test and 105 ODI appearances for the West Indies, was appointed as coach of the region’s under-15 squad in 2008.Having seen a lot of promising youth players during his time, he believes there is no doubt that the talent is abundant but too many players for one reason or the other are unable to take the next crucial step.“Because we’re so gifted, we are naturally able to play the sport. At the youth level, you will always see the talent but for some reason, there is a transition [problem]. Based on the experience I have doing academy work and grassroots work and so on that transition is normally made at the age of 16 and it’s a crucial transition that will either build you or break you,” Arthurton told the Good Morning Jojo radio program.One solution, he believes, is to develop avenues that serve to provide consistent exposure and high-level competition for players at that critical stage of their development. The coach revealed that the issue had already been broached with Cricket West Indies but, as it stands, concrete plans are yet to be fully fleshed out.“You may hear about an under-21 team or an under-23 team but there is no continuation so it may happen for one or two seasons and then it is gone,” Arthurton said.“We have to understand what we are trying to achieve and what the main purpose of trying to help these guys, the same guys who would be leaving youth cricket and looking to go into senior cricket and how we can maintain that important continuity for players to make the transition a lot easier for them.”(Sportsmax)
Facebook Twitter Google+ Syracuse (27-5, 14-4 Atlantic Coast) earned the No. 3 seed in the South Region of the NCAA Tournament and will play No. 14-seed Western Michigan (23-9, 14-4 Mid-American Conference) on Thursday in Buffalo, N.Y.Tipoff is scheduled for approximately 2:45 p.m., or shortly after the conclusion of the game between No. 6-seed Ohio State and No. 11-seed Dayton. If Syracuse beats the Broncos, it would face the winner of that game in the Round of 32 on Saturday in Buffalo.But SU head coach Jim Boeheim knows the importance of not looking past Western Michigan.“There’s no such thing as an easy starting game in the NCAA Tournament anymore,” Boeheim said. “Western Michigan is a very, very good basketball team. They won a very difficult conference tournament.”If Syracuse knocks off the Broncos and Ohio State or Dayton, it will head to Memphis for the Sweet 16. SU is also in the same region as No. 1- seed Florida, No. 2-seed Kansas and No. 4-seed UCLA.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThe Gators have won 26 consecutive games and received the No. 1 overall seed. Kansas is missing star big man Joel Embiid, but he could return if Syracuse plays Kansas. UCLA won the Pac-12 tournament, knocking off favorite Arizona in the process.Despite the difficult draw, Boeheim is confident in his team’s ability to compete.“I’m very confident with the way we’ve played overall the last couple games,” Boeheim said. “Before that we didn’t have Jerami Grant. I’m very confident that this team will be ready to play on Thursday.”He’s not worried about the fact that SU has lost five of its last seven games after starting the season 25-0. He mentioned that the last two times the Orange entered the NCAA Tournament fresh off a Big East championship, it got bounced in the first round.Boeheim cited the Florida State game as a reason to be confident moving forward. The Seminoles needed a signature win to keep their NCAA Tournament hopes alive, but Syracuse squelched any hope they had of making the dance, running away with a 74-58 win on March 9.Even against North Carolina State in the ACC tournament quarterfinals, though the No. 2-seed Orange lost to the No. 7-seed Wolfpack, Boeheim said his team played well. SU simply missed shots it usually makes. Boeheim has maintained that the Orange has not been in a slump all season.“I think we’re right where we should be,” SU forward C.J. Fair said. “We’re a three seed and we had a great year this year. Unfortunately, we had a little losing streak toward the end of the season, but overall the season I think is a success as far as regular season, so going into the Tournament we’ve just got to keep fighting and make that one last push.”The quest for a second consecutive trip to the Final Four starts in Buffalo, a city less than three hours from Syracuse. Fair said Syracuse is ready to play anywhere and is simply excited to be in the Tournament, but that having home-court advantage will definitely be helpful.“I don’t think it really matters as far as us because we get a good fan base anywhere we play,” Fair said. “Of course, people normally like to travel to different places they’ve never been, but us going to Buffalo — it definitely can help us.” Comments Published on March 16, 2014 at 6:13 pm Contact Trevor: firstname.lastname@example.org | @TrevorHass
Published on February 13, 2015 at 10:55 pm Syracuse (3-4) lost two games Friday to open the Jacksonville University Tournament in Jacksonville, Florida. The Orange lost the first game to Akron (3-4), 2-1, and the second to host Jacksonville (3-5), 5-4, in eight innings.Sydney O’Hara pitched a complete game in the first contest, allowing five hits and two runs in her first loss of the season. She also had six strikeouts, one walk and hit two batters.Akron opened the scoring in the first inning when second baseman Kellie Roudabush scored on shortstop Chelsea Wildey’s single.Syracuse answered in the bottom half of the first inning. Right fielder Maddi Doane came home when second baseman Julie Wambold reached on a fielder’s choice, evening the score at one.The game remained tied until the fourth inning when O’Hara gave up the deciding run on a solo home run to third baseman Alyssa Nicholas. SU got a player to third base in the final inning but squandered the opportunity.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textJunior Jocelyn Cater pitched the second game of the doubleheader, striking out 16 but giving up five runs, four earned, on five hits.Jacksonville jumped out to a four-run lead with a run in the second and three in the third. Syracuse broke through in the fifth.With the bases loaded, second baseman Sammy Fernandez reached on a fielder’s choice. Jacksonville got the first out at the plate but an error by catcher Charli Bradshaw allowed left fielder Alyssa Dewes to score.SU struck again in the sixth on a two-run home run from third baseman Danielle Chitkowski and shortstop Corinne Ozanne homered to lead off the seventh, sending the game into extra innings.In the bottom of the eighth, Cater gave up a leadoff single before getting the first out. With two on, Bradshaw reached on an Ozanne error, eventually allowing pitcher Victoria Brown to score the winning run.On Saturday, the Orange play another doubleheader, first against Bethune-Cookman (2-5) before a rematch with Jacksonville.Compiled by Jack Rose, staff writer, email@example.com, and Liam Sullivan, staff writer, firstname.lastname@example.org. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+
Ruby Walsh is set to line up against his flat jockey counterparts this weekend.The 12-time National Hunt champion jockey will take the ride on the Willie Mulins-trained Renneti at Leopardstown tomorrow.It’ll be Walsh’s first flat race in four-years.There are National Hunt cards this afternoon at both Down Royal and Kilbeggan. Stock photo of horse racing | Photo © Pixabay
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisALPENA, Mich. — The Michigan State Police 7th District Fugitive Team is currently assisting the Alpena County Sheriff’s Office in the search for a fugitive.33–year–old Steven Mark Casebier is wanted for larceny, fleeing and eluding, and assaulting a police officer. He is 6 feet tall and weighs around 160 pounds. He has brown hair and hazel eyes.Casebier is believed to be in Northern Michigan and is known to visit the Alpena and Hillman area frequently. A felony warrant being issued for him means that anyone who tries to assist him in avoiding capture will be charged with assisting and harboring a known felony fugitive.Anyone with any information on his whereabouts is asked to contact the Michigan State Police Gaylord Regional Dispatch non–emergency line at (989) 732–5141. Information will remain confidential and callers can remain anonymous.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis Tags: Alpena County Sheriff’s OfficeContinue ReadingPrevious Local school district announces plans for the fall semesterNext The MEA gives a failing grade to plans that would outsource virtual learning
Referee Alberto Undiano Mallenco awarded three penalties at the Bernabeu – and sent off Real’s Sergio Ramos – and Ronaldo believes he wasn’t up to the stature of the game.Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo has blamed referee Alberto Undiano Mallenco for his side’s El Clasico defeat to Barcelona.The Catalan giants edged a seven-goal thriller at the Bernabeu after yet another controversial clash, blowing the La Liga title race wide open.Ronaldo had put Real 3-2 in front shortly after half-time, before the official awarded Barca two spot-kicks – the first of which saw Sergio Ramos sent off – with both converted by hat-trick hero Lionel Messi.The decisions angered Los Blancos and in particular their Portuguese star who claimed Mallenco simply wasn’t up to the stature of the game.He told his club’s official website: “There were a lot of errors in one match. In a Real Madrid-Barcelona match you have to have a referee who is up to the game. “I don’t want to look for excuses but if you look at the 90 minutes, the referee made a lot of mistakes. Really bad.”In my opinion he was not up to a match of this stature. I looked at him and he was pale, that’s because he was so nervous and was unable to make the right decisions.”The La Liga title race is set to go right down to the wire, with Real and city rivals Atletico tied at the top on 70 points while Barca are now just a point behind.And Ronaldo continued his rant after the defeat, claiming nobody wants his side to win the title.The 2013 Ballon d’Or winner added: “It is difficult because a lot of people did not want us to win and Barcelona would have been out of it. “Maybe they don’t want Real Madrid to win the Liga. I’ve been here for five years, so I know how a lot of things are and I hope to win it regardless of this.”Real Madrid is the biggest club and that creates a lot of envy around it. You can say that the treatment is the same, but it’s not.”