Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, July 22, 2017 – Nassau – Some 100 plus children are enrolled in Fort Charlotte’s Urban Renewal Summer Camp and although now into week two, the numbers continue to swell.Led by a team of 11 leaders, the children take time out of their 4-hour day to focus on the Urban Renewal Summer Camp theme “It’s a Bahamian Thing”.“During the downtime we try to hone in on Bahamian culture to make the kids more aware of our culture and the meaning of what it is. We are starting from young so we can mold them into their culture so they can understand who they are and build national Bahamian pride. Not knowing their heritage is like a tree with no root,” said Christina Sweeting, coordinator for the Camp.Ms. Sweeting indicated that the children take a daily walk through the Bahamian islands in the classrooms at Greater Chippingham Church of God. Billboards erected in the classrooms are fully decorated with Bahamian crafts depicting national heroes, Bahamian artwork and more. This allows them to make the journey around The Bahamas.The children also participate in devotions, make crafts and are instructed in subjects including sports, English Language and History. Pep talks on bullying, nutrition and dos and don’ts about summer are presented. Weekly field trips, T-shirts and fully balanced meals are also provided for the children.They were busy rehearsing a musical selection for the Closing ceremony when the team from BIS stopped by on Thursday.“Every Camp is expected to give a presentation at the Closing Ceremony. Our contribution is the choir,” said Ms. Sweeting. “We are trying to build a Fort Charlotte Community Choir so we are beginning with the kids who come to the Camp.”Superintendent Dencil Barr said as a result of the formation of the choir, the children are able to show they have developed synergy from what they have been exposed to in such a short time.Visitors including the Hon. Mark Humes, Member of Parliament for Fort Charlotte, and representatives of Baha Juice and Beverages also visited the happy campers on Thursday.Baha Juice donated several cases of fresh, natural, organic juice to the camp. Director Levin Wilson said his company was “excited” about giving the product to the children.On the other hand, Mr. Humes plans to direct the campers in a few songs.The children who range in age from 5 to 15 represent neighborhoods including Fort Charlotte. According to Superintendent Barr, many of them were enrolled as a result of recruitment exercises undertaken by his staff members. “We did walkabouts throughout the neighborhoods and urged parents to enroll. The parents know of the positivity of Urban Renewal. That is why we have such a great response.”The Urban Renewal Summer Camp is sponsored by the Urban Renewal Commission of the Ministry of Social Services.Press Release: BISPHOTO CAPTIONS: The Hon. Mark Humes interacts with the campers and Superintendent Dencil Barr watches as the children perform.(BIS Photo/Patrick Hanna)
IBT Media, an international digital-only news company that publishes International Business Times and Latin Times, purchased the Newsweek brand from IAC in August for an undisclosed sum. The company will take over operational control on Oct. 1.The IAC deal also offered Newsweek the opportunity to return to the newsweek.com URL. The Daily Beast, brainchild of IAC chairman Barry Diller and now former editor-in-chief Tina Brown, had been Newsweek’s digital home since 2011. Brown announced Wednesday she was leaving The Daily Beast in January 2014. Jim Impoco will take over editor-in-chief duties for Newsweek magazine.The 20-year industry veteran comes to Newsweek from Thomson Reuters Digital where he spent the last four years serving as both enterprise editor and executive editor, revamping the company’s consumer-facing digital platforms and spearheading NewsPro’s redesign.“Jim will be critical to contributing to the long-term content strategy for Newsweek,” says Johnathan Davis, co-founder and chief content officer of IBT Media, in a statement.Davis says the company has plans “to consolidate the organizational structure” over the next couple of weeks in an effort to “enhance digital offerings.” No word yet if that overhaul includes any other staffing changes.
The photo shows fishermen taking preparation to go to the Bay as the ban on catching hilsa fish is about to end. Photo: UNBFishermen in coastal districts are taking preparation to go to the Bay of Bengal to resume catching hilsa as the 22-day ban on fishing the delicious fish comes to an end on Monday.The government imposed the ban on catching, selling, hoarding and transportation of hilsa in the country for 22 days from 7 to 28 October to boost the production through protection of the mother fish during the peak of the breeding season.During a visit to KB Bazar Ghat adjacent to Doratana River on Friday, the UNB correspondent saw the fishermen preparing their trawlers and fishing nets to go to the Bay of Bengal to catch hilsa.Trawlers were being towed to rivers from the dockyard. Fishing nets, fuel and daily essentials were being loaded in the trawlers.Thousands of fishermen are waiting to start their journeys to the sea.Local fishermen alleged that fishermen from India enter Bangladesh water territories illegally to catch hilsa during the ban.They demanded government steps so that the Indian fishermen cannot enter the Bangladesh territory.Idris Sheikh, president of Bagerhat Coastal Fishermen Association, urged the government to take steps so that foreign fishermen could not enter Bangladesh territory to catch fish.Officials at the fisheries department, Bangladesh Navy, Coast Guard, Air Force, district and upazila administration, police, Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) conducted drives to prevent hilsa fishing during the period of ban.Besides, executive magistrates conducted mobile courts and punished a good number of fishermen who violated the ban.Haque Islam, a fisherman of ‘FB Sabbir’ trawler of Khulna district, said that they returned to the ghat from the Bay on 6 October obeying the government ban. Now, they are taking preparations to go again for catching hilsa. Their trawlers and nets are prepared to resume fishing.Zia Haider Chowdhury, district fisheries officer, said, “Now we’ve to save Hilsa fry (under 10 inches). The authorities will impose a ban on catching Hilsa fry in the coastal areas from 1 November to 30 June next year.”