first_imgMelbourne: Organisers of the ICC T20 World Cup are optimistic of organising of a successful tournament even if it directly competing with Australia’s football codes due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.The men’s T20 World Cup, slated to be played from October 18 to November 15, has come under doubts due to the coronavirus outbreak which has brought the entire sporting calendar to a grinding halt.With both the Australian Football League (AFL) and National Rugby League (AFL) seasons suspended, they may now clash with the T20 World Cup when they resume.“We’re wanting to give ourselves the best possible chance of going ahead as planned, so there’s no imminent or quick decision,” Nick Hockley, chief executive of the T20 World Cup organising committee, was quoted as saying by“Hopefully it’s all resolved and we go ahead. In the event that it isn’t completely resolved, we are looking at all the different scenarios. Which is only prudent.“They are collective discussions involving the organising committee, the ICC, all the members. We will keep everyone updated if anything changes. But for now, we’re just under seven months away … we’ve got a bit of time,” he added.The postponed AFL and NRL seasons will now almost certainly last long beyond September if they resume.“We really feel for the winter codes, obviously they’re doing it very tough,” Hockley said.“In the event they have extended seasons … we still think the World Cup is a really strong proposition that might not come here again for 10 or 20 years.“We’re very encouraged already by the take up in terms of ticket sales,” he added.Speculations are rife that the T20 World Cup might be cancelled. The BCCI is now looking at the October-November window to host the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) which stands suspended till April 15 and chances of it being held in the near future are highly unlikely.But the move can only be possible if the ICC decides to postpone the World T20 that is to be held later in the year.However, ICC has made it clear though that the T20 World Cup is still on as planned and there have been no talks of postponement.Also read: Pay cut of Premier League players will hurt tax returns: Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA)Also watch: Coronavirus Preventive Measures: Dr. Navanil Barua in exclusive interview with The Sentinel Digitallast_img read more

first_imgBy John BurtonCOLTS NECK — The pastor and youth group ministers at St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church have stepped down in the aftermath of revelations that a priest from the Newark Archdiocese previously was involved with the parish’s youth program, even though he was legally prohibited from such activities without supervision.Bishop David M. O’Connell of the Diocese of Trenton announced Monday that he accepted the resignation of the Rev. Thomas J. Triggs as pastor.Triggs’ last act as pastor, according to the diocese, was to accept the resignations of Michael and Amy Lenehan, parish youth ministers. The resignations are effective immediately.In a statement read during Masses this past weekend, O’Connell said, “The troubling events of the past week and the unrelenting scrutiny that have surrounded them in the media and within your parish have made it clear to me that a change in parish leadership is in the best interest of all concerned.”O’Connell went on to say he will appoint a parish administrator in the next few days.Triggs, who had been with the parish for six years, has been granted a sabbatical before the bishop gives him a new assignment, according to the diocese.In a separate written statement also read during Mass, Triggs told the parishioners that given the controversy that arose and the response he heard from parishioners at an informational meeting conducted in the church Friday, May 3, it had become clear to him “that the good of our parish can only be served if I step down as pastor.”The moves are the latest developments that erupted when it became public that the Rev. Michael Fugee, a Catholic priest with the Archdiocese of Newark, had participated in a religious youth retreat, where he conducted one-on-one confessions with youth group members.Fugee had been charged a decade ago with inappropriately touching a boy. After he was convicted on the charge, the verdict was overturned on appeal on a procedural matter. Instead of retrying the case, Fugee was placed in a special pre-trial program, given probation and he and the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office reached an agreement requiring Fugee undergo counseling and be permitted limited ministry work. The agreement also prohibited him from unsupervised access to minors. He was assigned to the Newark Chancery Office.After reports were published recently that Fugee had participated in youth group activities at St. Mary’s, he offered Newark Archbishop John J. Meyers his resignation Thursday, May 2, from the Chancery. Meyers accepted. Fugee, however, technically remains a priest but cannot perform any duties of the clergy or church. Any future decision concerning Fugee’s religious status rests with the Vatican, diocesan officials said.A St. Mary’s youth group meeting scheduled for Monday, May 6, has been postponed until further notice, according to Triggs’ statement.“There are few things in life as important as protecting our children and young people,” O’Connell said in his statement. “We all must commit ourselves to that goal by supporting the policies of the Diocese of Trenton.”last_img read more